As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best outdoor baby swing is, I’d recommend the Step 2 Infant to Toddler Swing.
As the weather begins to warm up, are you thinking of searching for the best outdoor baby swing? Babies thrive in fresh air and sunshine. Not only does being outside help encourage developmental milestones, but it also comes with great health benefits.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to provide a safe play environment for young children when you’re outdoors. There are a lot of variables that can be hard to control. Fortunately, the best outdoor baby swings can give your child a safe place to be while reaping the benefits of being outside—and who doesn’t love a good swing?
In this article, I am breaking down the best outdoor baby swings, and in the end, I’ll choose the winner.
Here are the outdoor baby swings I will be reviewing:
- Step 2 Infant to Toddler Swing
- Sportspower Toddler Swing Set
- Wooden Horse Toddler Swing
- High Back Full Bucket Toddler Swing
- Canvas Hanging Swing Seat
- Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure Grow With Me Swing
- Little Tikes Hide and Seek Climber and Swing
- Eastern Jungle Gym High Back Full Bucket Swing
- Little Tikes Cozy Coupe First Swing
- Little Tikes High Back Toddler Swing
Why Use An Outdoor Baby Swing?
Wondering if an outdoor baby swing is really a good choice for you and your little one? There are a lot of good reasons to consider adding a swing to your play routine:
- Swinging helps encourage balance and body control: The rhythmic back and forth motion requires your baby’s body to constantly readjust to maintain balance. This helps build coordination as well as strengthen important muscles.
- The changing perspective encourages engagement: Your child won’t just be passively soaking up the scenery. The changing point of view is exciting and really pushes your child to engage with their world. It helps keep them mentally checked in while also growing their understanding of the world.
- Swings are fun: Your young child is experiencing brand new things on a daily basis. Outdoor activity will be crucial to a healthy childhood and later adult life. Giving them something to look forward to outside now will encourage a good relationship with the outdoors later on.
Things To Consider While Shopping For Your Outside Baby Swing
When looking for the best outdoor baby swing, there are several things you should keep in mind:
- How your outdoor baby swing will be mounted: Do you plan on using a tree in your yard? Or will you need a full swing set to enjoy your swing? This may impact what’s available to you and also be relevant to your budgeting.
- Type of buckling mechanism: There are quite a few harness types available. You should choose one that’s the right size for your child and follows safety guidelines.
- The age and size of your child: When shopping, pay attention to height and weight requirements as well as age recommendations. For this particular product, these are important considerations. A petite child who’s in the appropriate age range may not be a good fit for the swing you have in mind.
- Budget needs: You can find relatively inexpensive outdoor baby swings. You’ll also find elaborate and pricey swing and activity sets. Outline your budget ahead of time so you know which swings to exclude from your search.
- Safety standards: Look for products that have been tested and are certified safe for small children.
- Material the outdoor baby swing is made of: Are you looking at a plastic or a wooden product? You’ll want to check what kind of regular maintenance will be needed and what kind of life expectancy your product will have. Keep in mind that a pricier swing may need replacing less frequently.
My Outdoor Baby Swing Reviews
Below is our selection of the best outdoor baby swings for you to choose from.
One of the best outdoor baby swing seats to add to your backyard, this is compatible with most existing swing sets. It can be successfully mounted to trees or exposed beams as well.
This swing seat is made of molded plastic and helps provide a comfortable and safe outdoor activity for your child. Included with this model is a weather-resistant rope to mount your swing with. The ropes are very sturdy and come with the needed mounting carabiners.
The seat offers an over the shoulder adjustable harness. It snaps into the front piece of the harness, which is also molded plastic. This helps distribute your child’s weight evenly and allows for a comfortable ride. The rope is also weather resistant, extending the life expectancy of your outdoor baby swing.
The high back allows great support for the neck and back of a young toddler. It also gives you a wide area for comfortable pushing. This is a great transitional swing for a toddler. As they grow and obtain confidence—and better motor skills—they’ll be able to grip the swing’s ropes and practice pumping their legs.
The bucket seat shape encourages your child to sit back away from the harness. This helps keep their body where it should be to avoid any accidental tipping of the swing.
This product does require minimal assembly and will need to be mounted on a safe structure before use. It’s easily maintained and can be quickly wiped clean when needed. This swing is made in the United States.
- Durable, easy to clean seat
- Weather resistant rope
- High back is designed to support your baby correctly
- Shape of the seat well helps to avoid tipping
- Safe for children 9 months old and up
- Weight limit of 50 pounds
- This outdoor baby swing can’t be used without the front harness portion, which can be difficult for an older or larger child
- The buckles on the harness can be difficult to unlatch when removing your child from the swing
This toddler swing is for use with children ages 9 months through 3 years old. It comes complete with its own frame, so you don’t need to worry about what or where you’ll be mounting it.
Not only is this outdoor baby swing self-contained, but it’s also easy to collapse and relocate as needed. That means the same swing set your child loves outside can come on inside when you do—and keep the good times rolling.
Despite its lightweight construction, it’s made to last, with durable powder-coated steel. It’s capable of supporting up to 55 pounds.
The seat is made out of molded plastic and shaped to look like a teddy bear. A full harness is included with this swing, as well as a swing bar you can use alone with an older child. Along the sides of the seat, matching canvas covers the rope to help avoid pinching and give additional security.
While you can adjust where the swing sits with the included ropes, you cannot change the height of the frame, which is only 47 inches tall. That’s great for indoor use and low clearance. However, it does mean you’ll likely be sitting or bending while pushing your little one on the swing.
This unit meets all ASTM safety standards. Minimal assembly is required, and your baby will be swinging in just about 10 minutes.
The frame folds to take up little space during storage, and is light and easy to move, although the seat doesn’t fold.
- Folding frame makes it easy to store
- Lightweight but durable
- Designed to meet safety standards
- Multiple harness options to suit your child’s particular needs
- Close to the ground, it can be uncomfortable to push for long periods of time
- This swing set is so lightweight, a leaning child can make you feel like it’s in danger of tipping
This fun wooden swing is a great option if you’re looking for something a little different from a run-of-the-mill swing. This outdoor baby swing is designed to be straddled and you have your choice of finishes as well as models.
You can have this sweet swing in a giraffe, horse, or unicorn shape. You’ll also be able to choose between a varnished swing or a natural finish. It’s a classic swing that won’t ever go out of style. The back of the seat is flat and helps give your child a secure ride.
There is no additional harness with this swing, but the child’s legs do hang down on either side of the seat. With the raised sides and back, tipping over is unlikely. Included with the swing are some hardware options you can choose to hang with. The rope used to suspend the swing is also included.
This swing is great for use indoors as well as outside. If you do want to suspend directly from the ceiling, specialty hardware will need to be purchased separately. Make sure to purchase the varnished swing if you plan to keep your baby swing out in all weather. It’s non-toxic and creates a protective barrier.
This piece is well-constructed and extra attention has been paid to shaping the edges and leaving them smooth to the touch. It’s appropriate for children ages 6 months through 3 years of age and can support up to 44 pounds.
This unit is made with an eco-friendly process and meets the United States’ safety standards. Assembly is required.
- A beautiful, heirloom-quality piece that adds function as well as beauty to your play space
- Made in an environmentally-friendly way without harmful chemicals
- Comes beautifully packaged and makes a great gift
- Maximum weight of 44 pounds is lower than many other outdoor baby swings
- Inaccurate assembly instructions
- Hanging the swing level can be challenging
If you’re looking for a traditional playground baby swing, this might be the choice for you. It’s made of high-quality, durable materials and designed to last even with regular outdoor use. You’ll have a choice of colors—red, green, pink, or blue—to suit your child and your aesthetic.
This outdoor baby swing comes fully assembled. The heavy-duty chain that supports the swing seat is coated in yellow plastic where your child grips. This will help keep your chain safe from the elements while also protecting little hands. Carabiners for hanging are also included with this product.
This swing is suited to children ages 6 months through 3 years of age. While it is quite sturdy, it’s also on the smaller side, so older or larger children may have trouble getting in and out. This is especially true for children with long legs.
If you’re shopping on a budget, this is a great outdoor baby swing to consider. Not only does it look and feel like a high-end playground swing, but it also won’t break the bank to purchase. It’s sturdy and durable and will give you plenty of use. The included hardware is all galvanized to extend its life as well.
The high back on this swing gives you a good place to push your little one while giving them a secure place to sit. The high front and sides help prevent even younger children from becoming unbalanced or tipping out. As your child grows, there’s enough give to the seat that they can practice pumping their legs and swinging on their own.
- A high-quality product at a great price
- Comes fully assembled and ready to hang
- Low center of gravity and high sides and back help prevent any accidents
- Choice of great colors
- Quite small, only likely to suit up to 3-year-olds
- Although durable, the swing seat is not quite as flexible as the rubber-style swings found in public playgrounds
- Metal chain is long and may need to be cut down to size
This fun swing is perfect for an outdoor seating area. The canvas seat is comfortable and boasts a bright and attractive pattern. You can choose from a vibrant stripe or a more sedate blue chevron to suit your space.
This unit is designed for children between the ages of 6 months and 3 years old. There is no additional harness, so children will need close supervision when in the swing. This is especially true for younger children or those who lack balance skills.
The canvas used in this outdoor baby swing’s construction is durable. All of the seams are double stitched for additional security. Beneath the canvas, the frame of the swing is made from wood. There’s a small cushion for both the back and the seat of the swing. This provides additional comfort for your child and is detachable.
Included with this outdoor baby swing is a length of rope for hanging the swing. You’ll be able to customize the length you need for the space you’re working with. This swing is rated to support up to 100 pounds, so even an oversized 3-year old will able to use it.
If you are using this swing outside, you’ll probably want to make sure it’s in a protected space. A covered porch or patio is ideal, as extreme weather can cause wear and tear on the canvas. Eye bolts are included with this unit to help make hanging easier. They will need to be screwed directly into a supporting beam prior to use.
- Attractive design
- Soft and comfortable seat
- The canvas can be removed from the seat frame and cleaned as needed
- There is no safety harness
- Lack of weatherproofing means this outdoor baby swing needs a protected spot for installation
This baby swing works well with most swing sets, and is sure to provide hours and hours of fun.
The plastic T-bar makes putting your little one into this swing a breeze. This can actually be really helpful since young babies and toddlers aren’t always fully aware of how they need to move their legs to get situated in the swing.
While it’s easy to put your little one in, you can feel confident that they will be secure since the swing has shoulder straps. These straps are adjustable, so babies and toddlers of all sizes fit well.
As your child grows up, you can remove the shoulder straps and T-bar, which can be put away separately for storage.
It has a 50 pound weight limit, and is designed for kids age 9 months to 3 years old. So, your little one will be able to use it well into childhood.
- 50 pound weight limit
- Arrives ready to hang
- Can be used outside or inside
- Easy to clean
- Affordably priced
- Light weight design
- Straps are a bit rough for some babies
- Swing has a tendency to hang crooked
- Ropes deteriorate over time
If you’re in the market for a new swing, you might look at this play set instead. It does have a swing, but it also has a slide and climbing rock wall that are perfect for babies and toddlers.
The gentle slope of the slide makes for soft landings, which is not always the case at playground slides. This is great for young ones but does mean that kids will outgrow it at a fairly young age.
One big benefit of having all of these features is that it can entertain three kids at once. Having a few friends over? No problem at all.
The swing itself has a three point safety harness to keep your little one snug and secure. It’s also quite low to the ground. This can be nice if your little one is on the cautious side. But, as they grow, more adventurous toddlers may start looking elsewhere for more excitement.
It’s designed for ages 12 months through 4 years, and has a maximum weight of 45 pounds.
This set does require assembly, and some parents have noted that it can be difficult to take apart if you want to put it away.
- Entertains up to 3 kids at once
- Includes a swing, slide, rock climber, and hide and seek hole
- Low swing and short slide are perfect for babies
- Self contained, so it doesn’t need to be mounted anywhere
- Assembly is required and takes some time
- Kids tend to outgrow this one fairly quickly
- Some parents believe it feels a little flimsy
This is a heavy duty swing that is built to last. In fact, it’s a commercial grade swing but available to consumers.
The swing is held up by chains that are approximately 66 inches long, and can be attached to most swing beams. The bottom part of the chains are coated in yellow plastisol. So, they are soft and won’t pinch your child’s fingers.
This swing has the familiar look and style of the ones that are found at playgrounds. The bucket seat is deep, and has a high back. So, babies and toddlers will be secure.
It’s designed to be rust proof. So, it holds up against the elements fairly well.
With a maximum weight of 150 pounds, this swing is more than sturdy enough for your little one. Not that you will get anywhere near that weight capacity since older kids wouldn’t be able to fit into the bucket seat.
Installation is very easy. The swing comes fully assembled. So, all you need to do is clip the hooks to a swing beam and you’re on your way.
- Very sturdy and durable
- 150 pound weight limit
- Rust proof design
- Installation is very easy
- Child must sit in one direction, which may not be ideal depending on the position of the sun
- Yellow chain coating may deteriorate over time
Little Tikes Cozy Coupe First Swing
What could be more fun than combining a car and a swing? The one has a steering wheel and a horn for your little one to play with while swinging away. Kids that love ride on toys are sure to embrace this swing. There is also a seat belt for safety of course.
The swing hangs from yellow ropes that attach easily to most swing sets. Some parents note that the swing sits fairly high when attached to a swing set. The rope itself is weather resistant.
The manufacturer recommends this swing for ages 9 months through 3 years. It has a maximum weight of 50 pounds, which is plenty for babyhood and toddlerdom.
While the design is pretty cool, there is some assembly required. Something to be aware of if you don’t enjoy this sort of thing.
- Super fun car design
- Steering wheel and beeping horn are a blast
- 50 pound weight limit
- Quite sturdy
- Assembly required
- Sits very high when attached to some swing sets
- Stickers peel off after a while
- Some kids bump their lips on the steering wheel while swinging
This swing has a large high back which offers plenty of room for toddlers to grow. The 50 pound weight limit means your child will get years of enjoyment.
It has a molded center support that prevents kids from slipping down in the seat, which often happen with other swings. This makes the swing ideal for babies that are just learning to sit up on their own. In addition to the plastic molded seat, there is a seat belt for added security.
The leg openings are wide. So, it’s relatively easy to put your child in and take them out.
Yellow ropes hold the swing, and are easy to attach to most swing sets. These ropes are also weather resistant so they should last a long time.
The manufacturer recommends this swing for kids between the ages of 9 months and 3 years.
- 50 pound weight limit
- Easy to install
- Priced affordably
- Good quality, and durable
- Some parents feel the leg holes are rough on baby’s legs
- Can be crooked when rider is sitting slightly off center
- Ropes are fairly short, so swing sits high in some sets
Bringing Home The Best Outdoor Baby Swing For Your Family
Outdoor baby swings can be a great addition to your regular playtime activities. While all of the outdoor baby swings listed here would make a good choice for your baby or toddler, my personal favorite is the Step 2 Infant to Toddler Swing.
I really appreciate the effort that’s gone into making this swing safe for both infants and toddlers. The low maintenance exterior and included mounting supplies make install safe and easy as well.