As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best hook on high chair is, I’d recommend the Chicco Caddy Hook on Chair.
Need a high chair and have limited space? Looking for something that’s easy to take with you and travel-friendly? You may be in the market for a hook-on high chair. If you are, we have some of the best hook on high chairs here for you to consider.
Here are the hook on high chairs I will be reviewing:
- Mountain Buggy Pod Clip-On Highchair
- Inglesina Fast Table Chair
- Chicco Caddy Hook on Chair
- phil&teds Clip-On Highchair
- Toogel Hook-On Chair
What Is A Hook-On High Chair?
Instead of the traditional high chair model, a hook on high chair is designed to attach directly to the side of a table. This enables your child to eat at whatever table you find yourself sitting at.
Do you have tables of varying heights, travel frequently, or have a dining space where a traditional high chair will be too big? A hook-on high chair can be a good choice for you.
Hook-on high chairs are frequently lightweight and have a canvas style body. The arms simply slide over the top of the table. The chairs are generally designed to catch the table underneath while the child’s weight helps to hold the unit in place.
What To Consider When Shopping For A Hook-On High Chair
Before you start shopping you’ll need to ask yourself the following:
- How often will you be using your highchair? Is this an everyday highchair you plan to use predominantly in one place? Are you looking for a chair you’ll occasionally use at a relative’s house? Durability, weight, longevity, and price may factor into your search.
- Do you need portability? Some hook-on high chairs are designed for easy travel. They collapse or fold to take up minimal space while not in use. This will be something you want to consider if you plan to take your high chair with you.
- How old is your child and how long do you plan on using the high chair? It’s necessary for hook-on high chairs to have a weight limit. You’ll want to make sure you go with a chair that has a higher weight limit if your child is older.
- How easy is the high chair to clean? Remember, your little one is likely to make a mess. You’ll want a high chair that cleans well and easily.
- What kind of safety does the chair offer? You’ll want to look for high chairs that have been safety tested and approved. Always opt for a harness or safety belt to help prevent any accidental falls.
My Hook On High Chair Reviews
Have a better idea of what you’re looking for? Here are some of our favorite hook-on high chairs.
Have you been searching for a truly lightweight clip-on high chair option? This model from Mountain Buggy weighs in at just 2.2 pounds. It’s designed to be extremely compact and portable. When collapsed, it’s a great size for diaper bags, purses, and can easily occupy a permanent space in the trunk of your car.
This unit is made from aluminum and durable fabric. It’s compatible with tables that are 0.8–2 inches thick. You won’t be able to use this high chair with tables with a rounded or beveled edge as it will compromise safety.
Like other hook-on high chair models, you’ll want to avoid using this with pedestal tables, glass tabletops, and lightweight folding tables. They just don’t offer the safe counterbalance needed for your child while they’re in a hook-on high chair.
This model is available in multiple colors to suit your preference. It’s capable of supporting up to 37 pounds and comes with a front soft harness to keep your child from slipping through. It’s also equipped with a shoulder harness to help keep your little one from tipping out over the sides.
A convenient carry and storage bag is included with this high chair. The seat easily wipes clean, but can also be unzippered and removed for machine washing. Separately sold accessories are available for this unit, including a tray and a grab bar.
A simple twist-to-tighten system is used to affix your high chair where it’s needed. This unit has undergone extensive safety tests. It’s approved and certified in the United States, Europe, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada.
- Extremely lightweight and compact for easy portability
- Rigorously tested for safety and certified safe across the world
- Easy to clean with a zippered cover
- The seat is quite deep and may not be a good fit for children who are less than a year old
- Can only accommodate up to 2-inch thick tabletops
This hook-on chair from Inglesina offers great versatility. The arms that hook onto the table are durable and designed to protect your table. You can use this chair virtually anywhere without worrying about marking or scratching the table. It’s the perfect companion when traveling along to others’ homes or restaurants.
This unit is designed for children older than 6 months of age. You can continue to use it with your little one until they’re 37 pounds. This unit is compatible with most tabletops and can hook onto tables as thick as 3.3 inches. Operating the Fast model is quick and simple. A twist-tight coupling system has it firmly in place in a matter of moments.
A dining tray option is available for purchase separately. This can be a great add-on when you’re eating out. It helps keep your child’s food close to them on a surface you know has been cleaned well. The convenient traveling bag that comes with this hook-on chair even has a storage spot for the tray.
The bag of the chair is equipped with additional storage. This can be a great place to keep an extra placemat, pacifier, bib, or utensils. This chair cover is easy to clean when needed and can be placed in the washing machine.
At just over 4 pounds, this is a great option if you’re looking for a portable hook-on chair. It collapses flat, as well, which is a great feature for when you’re on-the-go. This unit is safe for children and ASTM-compliant.
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Folds flat for easy and convenient travel
- Higher weight limit will allow you to use this chair for a long time
- Designed to not damage furniture
- The chair needs to be disassembled to remove the seat cover for washing
- This hook-on high chair is not compatible with tables that have a lip underneath them
This unit from Chicco is designed for babies between the ages of 6 and 36-months old. It offers a straightforward twist-to-tighten mechanism that’s suitable for use with most tables. The arms are coated in rubber to help prevent damaging any tables you use it on.
This seat folds into a compact and easy-to-take-along piece. To fold, simply press the buttons on each arm and the unit is ready to travel. It weighs in at just under 6 pounds, so it won’t weigh you down when your arms are full of your baby and their items. For extra convenience, the high chair folds in a way that leaves you with carrying handles.
Though it’s lightweight and great for travel, when set up, this chair gives your little one a sturdy and supportive seat. The back is extra high and cushioned for additional comfort.
When needed, the cover on this seat can be removed and placed in the washer for easy cleaning. For quicker cleanup, try cleaning the seat directly after meals. Before food has time to set, it’s easy to wipe up from this seat’s material.
This hook-on high chair can accommodate tabletops between 0.75 and 1.5 inches thick. This is a great option for tables that have a table skirt up to 5.5 inches (tabletop depth included).
To help keep your child safe, this high chair is equipped with a 5-point harness. This model doesn’t offer a compatible tabletop tray.
- Great for tables that have skirts
- Has a 5-point harness
- Offers great longevity
- Folds for easy travel and has convenient carrying handles
- Does not offer a compatible tray
- Can only accommodate up to 1.5-inch tabletops
Looking for an all-in-one purchase that includes a tray? This hook-on high chair model includes both a tray and a carry bag with no need to make any additional purchases. It’s light and compact at less than 4 pounds and is a good option if you’re looking for something to travel with.
The lobster-style clamps on this model are aluminum and coated in non-slip grips. They can be used on tables as thin as 0.8 inches and as thick as 3.75 inches. You can use this unit on both indoor and outdoor tables as long as they provide the necessary stability for a hook-on chair.
This high chair is designed for children who are at least 3 months old. It can be used until your child is 3 years old or until they reach 37 pounds. It has been safety tested and is globally certified as safe.
The included tray helps keep your child’s food where it belongs and gives them a surface you know is clean. It’s BPA-free and is dishwasher safe, so keeping it sanitized is a breeze. When it comes time to wash the actual chair, the cover slips off and can be easily cleaned.
This is a lobster-style hook-on chair. This means both the top and the bottom of the clamp mechanism are the same length. It may not work well for you if you are dealing with a lip or skirt under the table. A c-clamp style chair may be a better fit for your needs.
- Lightweight and folds flat for easy traveling
- Tray and carrying bag are included
- Set-up and take-down is fast and easy
- The leg holes in the chair are on the small side and may not suit an older child or one with larger thighs
- Only works with tables that are completely flat on the underside
This Toogel model attaches quickly and easily to tabletops. It offers a c-clamp-style turn-to-tighten system. The plastic upper works to protect the tabletop from damage. A front harness snaps into place to provide additional security for your baby or toddler. A 5-point safety harness makes sure your child stays right where they belong.
This unit weighs in at just 4 pounds, so it’s a great lightweight option if you have traveling needs. The back of the chair comes equipped with storage for feeding time items. A carrying bag you can sling over your shoulder is also included with this high chair. It helps keep your high chair in sanitary conditions between uses and in waiting areas at restaurants.
This high chair is suitable for tables between 0.8 and 3 inches thick. It’s not recommended for use with tables that have lips, skirts, or any other edging that may compromise safety and functionality.
When needed, you can remove the seat cover and place it in the washing machine to clean. The material used is environmentally friendly and has additional padding for your child’s comfort. The fabric is waterproof, so you should frequently be able to get away with a good wipe down after meal time.
Compared to other hook-on high chairs on the market, this model has generously cut leg holes. It can work well for older children or those who have larger thighs. It offers a high weight capacity of 65 pounds, so should suit your child until they’re ready to sit at the table.
- Easy to clean and machine washable
- Generously cut leg holes and a higher weight capacity make it a great choice for long term use
- Lightweight and folds flat for convenient travel or storage
- Cannot be used with tables that have a lip or skirt
- Requires time-consuming and complicated assembly before initial use
Bringing Home The Best Hook On High Chair
If you’ve been looking for something other than a traditional high chair, a hook-on option may be a good fit for you. If I were bringing one home for my child, it would be the Chicco Caddy Hook on Chair. I love how it’s lightweight but still really sturdy when it’s in use. The fact that it’s easy to wash is an added bonus.