As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best toddler bike seat is, I’d recommend the Schwinn Deluxe Mounted Bike Seat.
Interested in being more active with your toddler? When the weather’s nice and you’re ready for a break from being inside, you may be looking for safe outdoor activities. If you’re considering bike riding, you’re probably searching for the best toddler bike seat.
In this article, I am breaking down the best toddler bike seats, and in the end, I’ll choose the winner.
Here are the toddler bicycle seats I will be reviewing:
- Schwinn Deluxe Mounted Bike Seat
- iBert Safe-T-Seat
- WeeRide Kangaroo Bike Seat
- Thule Yepp Child Seat
- Hamax Caress Child Bike Seat
What Is A Toddler Bike Seat?
A toddler bicycle seat provides your child with a safe way to experience a bike ride. The seat mounts directly to your bike’s frame. Depending on the model you choose, these seats may mount in front of the rider or behind the rider.
The kind of seat you choose will likely depend on your preference, the bike you ride, and where you do your riding. The best toddler bicycle seats are safety tested and have an approved harness to keep your little one safe and secure. Toddler bicycle seats can allow you to get some exercise and fresh air while keeping your little one safe.
What To Look For In A Toddler Bicycle Seat
When shopping for your toddler bike seat there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Know what kind of bike you’re riding: Not all bicycles can support a toddler bicycle seat. Before you purchase your seat, make sure your bicycle is compatible with one. Double check the safety information on the toddler bike seat to ensure it will work with your bicycle as well.
- Keep in mind the age of your child: Your child’s age will impact which bike seat is best for you. Are you looking for a young toddler or an older toddler? This will affect how much weight your toddler seat will need to carry and how much leg-room you’ll need.
- Make sure your toddler seat is safety-tested: Before putting your child in a toddler bicycle seat, make sure it’s been tested and approved. The safety harness should be adjustable, just like a car seat’s harness.
- Follow all safety guidelines and precautions: Bike riding is fun and safe—as long as you’re following safety protocols. Always make sure your toddler is wearing a properly fitting helmet and check your equipment every ride for damage.
- Your budget: Toddler bicycle seats can be found at affordable prices. They can also be quite expensive. Have a clear picture of your needs and how much you want to spend before starting to shop.
My Toddler Bike Seat Reviews
I have included a number of different types of toddler bicycle seats below. Some sit in the back of the bike, some in the middle, and some even sit in front. There are also options at very different price points. So, while I have a personal favorite, you might prefer a different one. Having said all that, the products below have all been vetted, and I believe any one of them would be a good choice.
This toddler bike seat is made out of lightweight polypropylene. Not only does its minimal weight make it easy to install on your own, but it also helps you keep your balance. To install it, you’ll need to attach a mounting bracket. After that’s in place, you’ll be able to remove and replace the actual seat as needed.
The assembly required for this bike seat is minimal. This means you’ll be up and on your way in a shorter period of time. More than that, though, it means there are fewer areas where your bike seat could experience structural failure.
When it comes to safety, this unit has been designed with your child (and you) in mind. A nylon three-point harness will keep your child securely in the bike seat. An additional lap bar provides a place for your little one to rest their hands. It also serves as another barrier to keep your child where they need to be while you’re riding.
This unit also features nylon and velcro leg restraints. These serve to help keep your child’s feet safely away from your bicycle’s wheel. They also help keep your child in the safest possible position while in the toddler bicycle seat.
To help keep your little one comfortable and to help keep you from being overworked, this toddler seat is vented. This helps keep your child from sticking uncomfortably to the seat on hot days. It also helps prevent wind drag and makes your job a little easier.
This seat is designed for children over 1 year old and weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Offers extra safety and comfort features
- Great for younger toddlers and into childhood
- Requires minimal assembly and offers few connecting spots of vulnerability
- You’ll need to order a second mounting bracket if you plan on using this seat on multiple bikes on a regular basis
- The seat cushion isn’t exceptionally comfortable and doesn’t absorb shock well
Looking for something a little different from the traditional rear-mounted toddler bike seat? This unit sits in front of the rider and is mounted to the steering column. A three-point safety harness is used to keep your child safe while in this toddler bike seat.
This positioning gives your child a better view. It also enables the two of you to communicate more easily. You’ll have the benefit of being able to see if your child is in distress as well. This can help prevent distractions and dangerous moments of unbalance while looking over your shoulder at your little one.
A front-mount like this leaves you with better mobility and safer center of gravity. Having your child at the front of the bike can also help shelter them from flying debris and puddles. It can also make it easier to get your child in and out of the seat and mount the bike yourself.
This unit is easy to assemble and install. It’s made out of rust-resistant aluminum and stainless steel. Available in three different colors, this toddler seat is also coated in a UV-protectant to help prevent fading. This toddler bike seat is made in the United States.
This toddler bike seat can be used by most children ages 1–4 years old. It can support up to 38 pounds of weight. If you plan on using this toddler seat on multiple bikes, you’ll want to buy an additional mounting bar for each bicycle. Installation is straightforward and takes just a few minutes. After installation, the toddler seat can be removed as needed when you’re riding alone.
- Allows the child to sit in front of the rider for a better view
- Helps prevent disruption of the center of gravity
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Depending on your bike, it may be difficult to slide your child into the seat without banging their knees
- The position of this toddler seat does reduce your turning radius
This unit is a center-mount toddler bike seat that allows your child to sit in front of the rider. This helps give your little companion a great view while keeping your lines of communication open.
This positioning also leaves the rider with one hand on either side of the child. This can leave you (and your little one) feeling a little more secure. Your particular bike’s structure may impact how well this positioning suits you as a rider.
This unit is made out of plastic and steel and is designed for children one year of age and older. It’s capable of supporting up to 33 pounds of weight. For your little one, it offers cushioning through the seat and a five-point harness for additional safety.
This toddler bicycle seat also has adjustable foot cups to help provide your child with greater comfort. In the newest model, the toes of the foot cups are left open to allow your child to have maximum comfort.
A padded front bumper also works to keep your child protected. A steel support bar gives this toddler seat structure without interfering with the bike’s gears or brake cables. This unit is easy to install and the tools needed to do so are included with this toddler bike seat.
In addition to its safety features, this unit also boasts a contemporary and sleek design. Its front-mounted position doesn’t work against the natural balance distribution of the bike. This unit can easily be removed as needed when you’re riding without your toddler.
- Simple and straightforward to install
- Center-mounting helps keep you and your bike balanced
- Adjustable footrests keep your child comfortable during rides
- Depending on your particular bike’s handlebars, the center-mount can be difficult for some bikes
- Shorter people or people with shorter arms may have difficulty working around the toddler bike seat
This toddler bike seat from Thule is a great option for a truly outdoorsy family. The seat is weather-resistant and designed for serious outdoor use. It’s made from a softer, moldable foam to keep your child comfortable during long rides. The material is easy to clean and waterproof.
For additional safety, this unit comes equipped with a built-in reflector. There’s also a place where you can add additional safety lights to make sure you’re highly visible while bike riding. This toddler bike seat is designed for off-road use as well as on-road use and offers shock absorption as a feature.
The seat on this unit is ventilated to help prevent drag while you’re riding and is available in multiple colors. The five-point safety harness is designed to keep your little one safe and comfortable. Shoulder pads help prevent chafing and allow for easy adjusting.
Both the footrests and the foot straps are also adjustable. This helps to provide your child with a safe and comfortable ride, even as they grow. Installation of this unit is easy, and there are multiple ways to mount it to your bike. Though you may need to purchase additional mounting hardware, this does allow for compatibility with more bicycles.
This unit is suitable for children ages 9 months old through 6 years old. It’s capable of supporting 48.5 pounds of weight. Though younger children can use this toddler bike seat, it’s recommended to consult your pediatrician if your child is less than a year old.
- Comfortable, shock-absorbing seat that’s vented for comfort and minimal drag
- Adjustable to accommodate a growing child
- Offers additional safety features for your little one
- Additional components need to be purchased separately to install this unit
- This unit does not offer reclining for longer rides or napping
Looking for a bike seat that’s suitable for a younger child? This rack-mount bike seat may be a good option for you. It’s mounted at the rear of the bike and can be used with children as young as 9 months of age. It’s capable of supporting up to 48.5 pounds, so it’s also one your child can use for quite a while.
This unit is designed to be easily adjusted with one hand. This is a great feature for those times you’re on your own with a toddler. It lets you keep your little one close and safe while you prep the toddler bike seat for them.
This unit allows you to adjust the tilt of the toddler bike seat. This is a great feature for when your child is napping. It can even be done while you’re on the bike to prevent disruption for you and your little one.
When it comes to giving your child a custom fit, this toddler bike seat is a great option. The backrest slides up and down easily to give your child comfortable back support. It’s fully lined for additional cushioning and works to help absorb shock. The footrests can also be adjusted to 10 different settings to keep your little one comfortable.
This car seat’s design pays the utmost attention to safety. It’s been constructed with your child’s safety in mind and meets all European and United States’ safety standards. It’s both ASTM and TUV-certified and is made out of phthalate-free materials.
- Offers great adjustability to provide your child with a custom ride
- Conforms to safety standards and constructed from safe materials
- Suitable for young toddlers
- High weight limit allows this unit to grow with your child
- Offers multiple mounting options
- The design of this seat allows for a lot of movement when the bike is in motion
- There’s not much curvature to the backrest which can mean your child’s head lolls over the side if they’re sleeping during their ride
Hitting the bike trail with your toddler can be a great adventure for you both. If I were bringing home a toddler bicycle seat of my own, it would have to be the Schwinn Deluxe Mounted Bike Seat. It’s really easy to install, so you can be riding with your little one in no time. I also love that it can be used with a young toddler and supports a greater weight limit.
By the way, if you’re interested in bringing your kids along for a ride, you might want to check out our kids bike trailer reviews.