As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best space heater for your nursery is, I’d recommend the Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater.
You may be worried about the temperature in your baby’s room. You might also be concerned about the safety of using a space heater. Wondering what the best space heater for nursery use might be? We’ve rounded up the safest, best space heaters for your baby’s nursery here.
In this article, I am breaking down the best space heaters for nurseries, and in the end, I’ll choose the winner.
Here are the space heaters I will be reviewing:
- Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater
- Honeywell HeatGenius Space Heater
- Lasko Space Heater
- Dyson Hot and Cool Jet Focus
- Dr. Infrared Space Heater
What To Look For In A Space Heater
You should know that all space heaters are not created equal. When it comes to space heaters, your child—and family’s—safety should be paramount. Look for the following when shopping to find a kid-friendly space heater:
- Certification: A space heater for baby room use should be thoroughly tested for safety. Only consider options that have been put through rigorous testing by independent testing groups or organizations.
- An automatic shut-off feature: This feature will automatically turn off your space heater if it begins to overheat. Some models offer an automatic shut-off when they sense the space heater has tipped over. Both of these features can go a long way toward keeping your family safe.
How To Use Your Space Heater Safely
The following tips can help you make sure you’re using your space heater in the safest way possible:
- Always use a GFCI plug: A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter will terminate power to the plug if there’s a power surge. Using a GFCI dramatically reduces the risk of fire in your home.
- Never use an extension cord: A space heater requires a large amount of power, which creates a tremendous amount of electrical resistance, which results in heat. The less distance the power needs to travel, the less resistance is created, which keeps heat—and the likelihood of overheating—down.
- Always keep the area near the space heater clutter-free: Clutter can cause fires. Items like clothing, bedding, and stuffed animals can become hot enough to combust. Make sure there’s nothing close to, or touching, your space heater.
- Never leave your space heater on or plugged in when you’re out: Unplugging your space heater is the best option when it’s not in use—it’s the only way to avoid an accidental power surge.
- Always keep your space heater on the floor: A space heater for baby use should not be placed on elevated surfaces like tables or dressers.
- Dedicate the outlet you’re using only to the space heater: Adding other electronics to the power source may cause overheating. Avoid this by using your GFCI outlet with only your space heater when it’s in use.
Product Reviews Of The Best Space Heater For Your Nursery
Space heaters come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. There are all different kinds that work well for different use cases. I have taken a look at what’s available on the market, and then reviewed the ones that I think are the best for nurseries. I’ve also picked my favorite.
This space heater is designed specifically for nurseries. With babies in mind, the company has opted for gentle heat flow over a concentrated stream of heat. This helps keep the entire area your baby occupies comfortable and warm.
A lot of thought has gone into keeping this unit safe for your baby’s room. It’s full of safety features including a cool-to-the-touch surface and a tip-over auto-off feature. This auto-off feature also works if the unit is becoming too hot. The shape and interface are all designed to keep your baby protected. There are no sharp edges and this unit offers a cavity that contains the cord when not in use.
This space heater also has a curiosity-proof child lock. This switch is in place to keep your child from making unauthorized changes to the settings you’ve chosen. When it comes to heat options, there are two different heat settings you can choose from.
In addition to the heat feature, this unit has a fan-only option which can be used to simply circulate the air. There are two different speed options to choose from. A thermostat helps you keep track of temperature and helps you determine what settings you should use.
This is a lightweight space heater that weighs in at less than 5 pounds. It measures 10 inches wide by 7.5 inches deep by nearly 11 inches tall. This unit runs on 900 watts and 120 volts. It is a quiet space heater that is designed not to interfere with your little one’s sleep.
- Small and lightweight, this unit can be easily portable
- This space heater for babies is filled with safety features like auto-off and cool-to-the-touch
- This product comes with a fantastic 5-year guarantee
- This unit does not come with a temperature guide
- Though the unit is quiet-running, there is an audible click when it’s initially turned on—have it on before your little one is asleep to avoid waking them
This kid-friendly space heater offers six different customized heat settings. With a simple touch of a button, you can choose to heat a small area, an entire room, or a whole floor. The ceramic heating element makes this an energy-efficient and safe option for heating your baby’s nursery.
Not only can you customize the heat settings to best suit your little one’s needs, but this unit also offers an auto-off feature. You can opt to use the integrated timer. After two hours when the heating cycle is complete, it will turn off on its own. It also has a quiet mode setting and a tip-over auto-off feature.
This space heater has a cool-to-the-touch face to help prevent burns and keep your little one safe. This unit offers plenty of safety features and settings to choose from, but it also packs lots of power. With 1500 watts of power, it has the maximum amount of power allowed for space heaters.
This unit does offer a thermostat. This thermostat can be used to turn on the heating element when it gets below the designated temperature. It can also be used to turn off the unit when the preferred temperature has been reached. This space heater is quiet and can heat up a room quickly.
This is a lightweight and easily portable unit. It weighs in at just under 6 pounds and measures 10 inches wide by 6.2 inches deep by 17 inches tall. Though it heats efficiently and can be used on a larger space, it does not oscillate.
- Full of safety features like cool-to-the-touch and auto-off features
- Offers many different setting options to suit your needs
- Can be programmed to your specifications
- Offers plenty of power at 1500 watts
- This unit does not oscillate
- There is not a lock on the controls to help prevent your child from changing settings
This space heater offers 1500 watts of power and a ceramic heating element. This unit has two quiet settings—high heat and low heat—and comes with an auto setting. This kid-friendly space heater also oscillates. This means the air is more evenly circulated and creates warming throughout the entire space instead of in a concentrated space.
The Lasko space heater also offers an adjustable thermostat with a digital display. The internal thermostat is quite accurate and very responsive to adjustments. This unit also comes with a remote control and a built-in timer.
The included remote control can come in handy when you need to make changes to the heat while your little one is asleep in their crib. When using the timer, you can choose to set it in one-hour intervals from 1–8 hours. Without setting the timer, this space heater will continue to heat indefinitely.
Additional safety features for this unit include overheating protection. If the unit is getting too hot, it will automatically shut off. The unit does use ceramic heating elements which helps keep it cool-to-the-touch, even when it’s been on and warming. Unfortunately, this model does not offer an auto-off feature for if your unit tips over.
This unit arrives ready-to-use with no assembly required. An integrated handle makes it easy to move from room to room as needed. Its unique, tall shape makes it a great choice when space is limited.
This space heater weighs in at just under 9 pounds and is 23 inches tall. It measures 7.2 inches wide and 8.6 inches deep.
- Very quiet
- Oscillates for even heat dispersal
- Can be a great space-saving option
- Has a remote control and a timer function
- Does not have a tip-over auto-off function
- It’s taller shape may make it more prone to tipping
Dyson Hot And Cool Jet Focus
If you’re looking for the best of the best when it comes to heating (and cooling!) you may want to consider this option by Dyson. It’s designed to be used year-round. When it’s cold out it can be used as a space heater. When it’s hot, though, it can also be used to cool your little one’s nursery.
This unit is not only multi-functional, but it’s also designed to efficiently move the air through the room. It uses Dyson’s patented Air Multiplier technology to help create an even and comfortable area for your baby. The head of this unit tilts and oscillates to best distribute heating or cooling.
This space heater model includes a thermostat. It helps to monitor the temperature of the room and helps maintain the exact temperature you’re looking for. This helps keep energy usage low and the cost of operation down.
This unit is designed for efficiency. Safety has also been at the forefront of its design, though. There is no exposed heating element with this space heater. It also doesn’t utilize a traditional fan with blades for moving the air. This is great when it comes to keeping little fingers safe.
An auto-off tip feature is also included in this model. Should your space heater be knocked over, it will immediately turn off to avoid injury or fire.
This space heater measures 8 inches wide by 6 inches deep and is 23 inches tall. It weighs in at less than 6 pounds, so it’s easy to move around the house to where you need it most.
- A great multi-purpose unit that can be used year round
- An oscillating head that doesn’t use blades
- Offers a thermostat and a remote
- Compact, space-saving design
- There are no buttons on this unit—don’t lose the remote or you won’t be able to use the space heater
- This unit can be noisy
This infrared space heater can be a great option for your child’s bedroom. It has a wooden finish that leaves this space heater feeling more like a piece of furniture than a heating unit.
In addition to its non-obtrusive look and design, this unit offers plenty of power. With 1500 watts of power, this space heater will keep your child’s space warm. This unit is equipped with a thermostat. You can program the space heater to turn on (and off) according to your temperature preference.
Program this space heater by selecting your preferred temperature (between 50 and 86 degrees). When the space heater reaches the desired temperature, it will stop heating the space. As the temperature begins to drop, it will kick back on to continue heating. This helps keep your energy use down and the cost of operating lower.
This unit is equipped with three different modes—low, high, and auto mode. The high setting uses the full 1500 watts of power. The low mode only uses 1000 watts of power. In auto mode, the space heater will turn on and off as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
This unit comes with a remote control. For safety reasons, to use the remote with this unit, you’ll need to make sure your space heater is already on and in “standby” mode. It also features an auto-off tip over function to keep your home and family safe. In addition, it has a 12-hour auto-off function.
This space heater weighs in at 24 pounds, so it is a heavier model. Though it may take more energy to relocate, its risk of tipping is low.
- Has a great, unobtrusive aesthetic
- Comes equipped with a remote
- A high-pressure and low-noise blower helps heat quickly and evenly
- This unit has a larger footprint and is more cumbersome to move
- This space heater has a single blower and does not oscillate
When it comes down to space heaters, you don’t need to trade comfort for safety. You can have both. If I were bringing home a space heater for my nursery, it would need to be the Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater. I love the child-lock feature and how it distributes heat evenly.