As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best overnight diapers for toddlers are, I’d recommend the Pampers Swaddlers Overnights.
Let’s get real here. How many times have you woken up in the middle of the night because your toddler has completely drenched themselves? As your little one gets older, they inevitably pee more. This can make shopping for diapers a total nightmare.
Overnight diapers can come in handy in these situations. However, not all diapers are as good as they claim to be. We’ll review the best overnight diapers for toddlers so you can all sleep in peace.
In this article, I am breaking down the best overnight diapers for toddlers, and in the end, I’ll choose the winner.
Here are the overnight diapers I will be reviewing:
The Difference Between Daytime And Overnight
A lot of times, parents think they can get away with using regular daytime diapers as opposed to overnight ones. While this may work for some families, it’s not ideal if your toddler is a heavy wetter.
Daytime and overnight diapers are both made of the same materials, but overnight diapers will have more absorbency at the core. Because of this, you’ll find that overnights are more expensive. However, they’re definitely worth the extra cost if it means you won’t have to wash and change sheets every night.
What To Look For
Contrary to popular belief, not all diapers are the same. There are specific things you need to look out for to ensure you’re finding the best product.
The key here is to find an overnight diaper that’s as absorbent as possible. This will help ensure your toddler won’t wake up periodically throughout the night due to wetness. When choosing an overnight diaper brand, look out for any claims for ultra-absorbency or additional layers. Those will be your winners.
Keep in mind what type of diaper you’re already using. Are the diapers disposable or have you gone the cloth diapering route? Generally, cloth diapers will be more absorbent. However, it can prove to be a hassle when you need to wash them all the time.
When it comes to disposables, look out for hypoallergenic diapers. Baby bums are extremely sensitive, so avoiding non-toxic materials and uncomfortable padding is a must.
Some diapers may come with added features like petroleum/lotion infused padding. These added features are meant to help prevent diaper rash and chafing. They may also come lightly fragranced, which can help mask the smell but may not be ideal for extra-sensitive babies.
The Beginning Stage Of Potty Training
Once your baby reaches toddlerhood, potty training is right around the corner. It’s smart to begin limiting liquids around an hour or two before bedtime to maximize the diaper’s lifespan. Change their diaper before bed, or if you want to introduce potty training, encourage them to sit on the potty before bed.
It’s also smart to start with small packs of overnight diapers until you find a brand that sits well with your baby. All babies are different, and nobody’s skin is the same. Your toddler may have extra sensitive skin, so you may have to try multiple brands.
My Reviews Of The Best Overnight Diapers For Toddlers
If you were previously on the fence about whether or not to use overnight diapers, I hope the information provided helped solidify your decision. Despite typically costing more than regular diapers, the nighttime benefits of these are immeasurable. Here are my top picks for overnight diapers.
These diaper inserts are meant for cloth diapering. They have moisture-wicking and porous qualities that make them perfect for overnight diapering. These are nice because they’re entirely natural and don’t emit any harmful toxins to your toddler.
The inserts are made with charcoal and bamboo, which both contribute to wicking away moisture. The charcoal aspect is beneficial because charcoal naturally eliminates odors. The inserts are available in two different colors, so you can easily match it to whichever diaper design you choose.
Each insert has five layers of absorbency as well, making them ideal for nighttime. It’s recommended to wash these inserts before using them to soften them up a little.
The biggest issue with these is the gussets. Because they’re scrunched up a bit, the inserts tend to fold which can cause leaks and difficulty in cleaning.
Here are a few things I like about these:
- Reusable: Cloth diapering is gaining popularity for its sustainability factor. You can wash and reuse these over and over, making them convenient and better for the environment. Let’s not forget to mention how much money you’ll save by cloth diapering.
- Charcoal Helps Mask the Smell: Charcoal is a natural odor buster. It’s also useful for drawing toxins away from the body. Charcoal is especially beneficial when it comes to diapers because it wicks the moisture away while keeping baby’s bum safe.
- Super Absorbent: These are good for toddlers because they’re long enough to provide full coverage. The super absorbent qualities also make it suitable for toddlers because they can hold a greater volume of liquid.
- Comfortable for Baby: Not only is the bamboo material good for absorbing, but it’s soft to the touch, which makes it comfortable for your toddler. Bamboo is also breathable, hypoallergenic, antibacterial and antifungal. These qualities help maximize comfort during wear.
Here are some things that could use improvement:
- May Fold While Using: Because of the gussets, some parents have complained that the inserts fold during wear. If the fit isn’t just right, there’s more space for these to move around. To avoid folding, make sure the diaper shell is secure.
- Gussets Can Cause Marks: There have also been incidents of the gussets causing marks on the skin, similar to the marks you get when something is too tight. This may be an issue if you have a toddler with chunky thighs.
If your toddler is showing signs of potty training readiness, regular overnight diapers may not cut it. These diapers could be fun for a toddler who wants to do everything themselves because all you do is pull them up just like underwear. They’re available in “girl” and “boy” versions, each with corresponding Disney characters.
They’re more absorbent than regular Pull-Ups and are designed to fit just like underwear. This quality helps your toddler easily transition from diapers to underwear. These particular Pull-Ups will fit toddlers from 18–34 pounds, but there’s another size available up to 40 pounds.
These training pants are a good option for parents who are potty training. However, they only come in princesses or Toy Story characters, so your toddler might be disappointed if they aren’t really into Disney.
Here are a few things I like about these:
- Great for Nighttime Potty Training: If your toddler is showing readiness signs for potty training, training pants are going to be a better option for them than diapers. The nighttime version of this famous brand has been a tried and true option for years.
- Will Fit Until Potty Trained: These are designed to fit like underwear and are generally more stretchy than regular diapers. Because of this, they’re likely to work until your toddler doesn’t need to wear extra protection anymore.
- Familiar Character Prints: The familiarity of the characters on each pair will encourage your toddler to wear them more. Each pair of training pants has either a Disney princess or a popular Toy Story character depending on which pack you choose to buy.
- Un-Latchable Sides: While these are meant to mimic underwear, they can also be unlatched on the sides for faster cleanup. All you need to do is pull at the side, and the pants will come apart for you.
- Encourage Independence: As toddlers grow older, they begin to discover their independence. This newfound skill can prove to be difficult with regular diapers as they’re harder to pull up and down. With training pants, your toddler can learn how to pull them up and down by themselves with ease.
Here are some things that can use improvement:
- May Not Work Well for Heavy Wetters: While these are more absorbent than regular/daytime training pants, they may not be ideal for heavy wetters. Some have complained that they still experience leaks with their toddlers who pee a lot.
- Can Fit Awkwardly on Some Toddlers: These may also fit awkwardly if your toddler has more full legs. To avoid an awkward fit, you may want to buy one size up.
These overnight diapers offer 12 hours of absorbency and come with a dry touch liner as well. The liner is useful for preventing chafing and absorbing moisture right on contact. On top of that, they’re designed to feel soft, like pajamas, so your toddler will stay comfy all night.
The diaper is also designed with double grip strips to help keep it in place throughout the night. You’ll find that, like many other diaper brands, this one also comes with a wetness indicator to tell you when it’s time to change. For those of you looking for a more “natural” disposable diaper, this one is free of chlorine, bleach, latex and fragrances.
The biggest issue with these is that they’ve been redesigned, and there have been instances of faulty diapers. Some diapers have released the contents from inside, causing the material to irritate the skin.
Here are a few things I like about these:
- More “Natural” Than Other Disposables: While some overnight diapers may contain lotions and fragrances, this one is entirely free of them. The addition of lotions and fragrances is a nice thought, but these can cause allergic reactions on a baby’s sensitive skin.
- Dry-Touch Liner: The dry-touch liner on these diapers helps quickly wick away moisture, which can help prevent diaper rash. It also ensures optimal comfort while your toddler is sleeping, so they don’t wake up in the middle of the night.
- Uses Double Grip Strips: Saggy diapers are a common issue once they get pretty full. Because these have double grip strips, the diaper can fit more snugly to your toddler’s waist.
- Comfortable Fit: The snug fit and soft material of this overnight diaper both contribute to the comfort factor for your toddler.
Here are some things that can use improvement:
- Contents May Spill: These have since been redesigned, and the new design has caused complaints of the inside contents spilling out when the diaper breaks open. This is an issue because the materials can be irritant on your toddler’s skin.
- Not Good for Heavy Wetters: This is another diaper that isn’t ideal for heavy wetters. Plus, with the issues of contents breaking out of the diaper, prolonged wetness may be a concern.
Pampers is a well-loved brand by both parents and hospitals. Their overnight Swaddler diapers are gentle and soft, with a wetness indicator as well. The diaper has air channels to help make it more breathable and helps keep your toddler dry for up to 12 hours.
These are hypoallergenic and free of parabens and latex, which is nice because you don’t need to worry about your baby getting an allergic reaction.
The biggest issue with these is that they seem to hold just as much liquid as regular Pampers Swaddlers.
Here are some things I like about these diapers:
- Used by Many Hospitals: Many hospitals across the country use the Pampers brand in their NICUs and postpartum recovery rooms. The fact that hospitals love the brand tells you that they’re a quality diaper that can get the job done.
- Hypoallergenic: It’s ubiquitous for babies to be born with sensitivity to allergens. Even as they go into toddlerhood, they may not outgrow the need for hypoallergenic products. Pampers diapers are hypoallergenic, making them comfortable for your toddler’s bum.
- Breathable Material: The material is also breathable, which adds more to the comfort factor.
- No Parabens or Latex: These are free of parabens and latex, two components that can also cause an allergic reaction.
Here are some things that can use improvement:
- May Need to Order a Size Up: These diapers do tend to run smaller than other brands of the same size. You may need to size up one size if your toddler has more full thighs.
- Seems to Hold no More than Regular Swaddlers: Many parents have found that, while these are technically overnight diapers, they don’t seem to hold any more than the regular Pampers Swaddlers. They’re both a pretty solid choice for an overnight diaper though.
For those of you looking for more natural baby brands, these diapers are for you. They’re free of lotions, fragrances and chlorine bleaching. This makes them perfect for babies with sensitive skin.
On top of that, they’re also sustainably sourced diapers too. These overnight diapers are available in sizes 4, 5 and 6. If you aren’t sure what size your toddler will fit into, I recommend sizing up.
The biggest issue with this one is that the leg elastics for sealing can get stuck. Be sure to check this before you close the diaper to prevent leaks.
Here are a few things I like about these diapers:
- Natural Alternative to Most Diaper Brands: These are free of added chemicals and parabens. They also don’t have any latex or other skin irritants built-in. This makes them the perfect option for parents who want a natural-based disposable diaper.
- Available in Different Sizes: These also come in different sizes, so you don’t need to worry about buying a different brand when they grow out of one size.
- Sustainably Sourced: Many parents are starting to be more conscious of their purchases. These diapers are sustainably sourced, meaning they bear in mind environmental, social and ethical factors before making decisions.
- No Strong Diaper Smell: Nobody likes that weird chemical smell that comes from some diaper brands. Because they’re made from natural ingredients, there isn’t going to be an overpowering chemical smell.
- Fit True to Size: These are also known to fit true to size, so there’s less confusion on which size to get. If you’re still unsure, the brand recommends sizing up anyways.
Here are some things that can use improvement:
- Leg Elastics Get Stuck: In the packaging, the elastics for creating a seal around the leg can get stuck to the rest of the diaper, thus causing leaks. If you are sure to pull these out, there should be no more wet beds.
- Tabs are Short: The tabs on these are also shorter than other diapers, which can prove to be an issue with toddlers who have wider waists. They may not efficiently reach around, which can cause the diaper to sag and fall.
This brand of diapers comes in six different sizes so that you can stick to the same diaper from newborn up until your little one is ready to ditch the diapers altogether.
Size 4 is the size most aimed at toddlers, suitable for little ones between 15 and 40 pounds. Of course, depending on the size of your toddler, this will affect the size that’s most suitable for them.
This diaper is made classically for sensitive skin, protecting little bottoms and keeping them free from sores and rashes.
The design is eco-friendly, minimizing the risks of baby developing an allergic reaction or irritation to the diaper.
They are ultra-absorbent, making them perfect for nighttime wear when your little one is fast asleep. This gives you peace of mind that they are dry and comfortable in their overnight diaper and won’t be waking with wet pajamas.
The diapers keep your baby drier for longer with high absorbent rates and retention compared to other brands.
The backsheets on the diaper are super soft and plush, helping to protect your baby’s skin. They’re also non-woven to prevent any creases or marks occurring and are breathable to ensure maximum comfort.
The leg cuffs on the diapers are latex-free, so won’t cause any irritation or soreness. They’re also designed in a way that’s flexible to allow for comfortable movement but also secure to prevent any leakage.
Bambo Nature diapers are designed for a supernatural performance and are aimed at protecting your little one throughout the entire day and night with great comfort and minimal annoyance. They are thin and create a perfect fit for your baby’s bottom, though there are some reports that sizes run wide.
You can buy packs of various amounts, and they are reasonably priced. You have the option to bulk order in cases, which does make for better value for money if you have good storage at home to keep them.
Luvs Ultra Leakguards feature technology to lock away wetness, even overnight. These particular diapers are a size 3, which are suitable for babies weighing between 16 and 28 pounds.
This particular box is ginormous and contains 186 diapers. The price on this is amazing, and definitely one of the best in terms of value for money.
While some people are put off by the cheaper brands, this one even offers a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the quality of the diapers. This sure is reassuring, and it makes you want to give them a try even if you haven’t heard of the brand before.
This brand is very big on promoting the difference in price that their product has compared to the bigger, more well-known brands and to be honest; they have a lot of positive feedback too!
These diapers are designed to be leakproof and feature a Night Lock plus system, which is designed to keep wetness away from your baby’s bottom overnight to provide a dry and comfortable night’s sleep. If your toddler has particularly sensitive skin, however, these may not be the best choice to leave on for hours at night.
The diapers have large stretch tabs that can be re-fastened more than once to make changing time as simple as possible. The fastening area is wide, to provide you with maximum ease to ensure a quick and effective diaper change—even when your toddler’s trying to run off.
They are super soft, and have a leakguard core built in to provide ultimate protection while giving your baby maximum comfort.
They are available from sizes 1 to 6, so you can choose to stick with this brand and save cash if you find that they work well for you, and most importantly, for your little one.
These aren’t regular style diapers, but more like pull up pants. Your little boy (or girl) can wear these as he is learning to potty train but needs that extra support at nighttime.
These diapers feature classic boy-themed characters, including Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk, so they add a bit of fun into wearing them. They’ll make your little boy feel like a superhero in his new big boy diaper pants.
Goodnights Bedwetting Underwear are sized in a small to medium, which are aimed at boys weighing between 38 and 65 pounds.
This particular brand has been rated as the number one nighttime underwear brand in the youth pant category. Impressively, these pants provide 40 percent greater protection against leaks than the leading training pants out there.
These diapers feature a super five-layer protection system, to provide maximum comfort while your little one sleeps and protect against any leaks occurring.
They are designed to fit like underwear, matching the shape of their body and feeling snug and comfortable to wear. The waistband is stretchy to allow for movement and the legs have double barriers to fight against leakage while providing flexibility.
The ultra-absorbent pants also absorb odor, to protect against any nasty smells and provide the ultimate discretion.
These diapers feature a cute sleepy sheep design on them, which is unisex and suitable for both boys and girls.
These are a size 4, which is recommended as a suitable weight size for kids between 22 and 37 pounds. They can also be found in sizes 3 to 6.
The diapers feel super thin; however, their special technology allows for faster absorption to protect against leaks and provide 20 percent more capacity for overnight performance without any extra bulk required. Your little one will no doubt like the fact they’re not bulky—my son used to hate big diapers.
Moisture barrier technologies in the legs and waist cuffs of the diapers provide a secure fitting for your baby, preventing any unwanted leakage and any unnecessary blowouts.
While doing this, the diapers also provide flexibility for movement so your baby can move freely and comfortably while wearing them.
The diapers are made from sustainable materials of sustainable sources, including the fluff pulp found in the core of the diapers. They haven’t undergone any harsh treatments, including chlorine processing or optical brightening and are free from irritating materials, such as latex.
Honest Overnights are made to be extremely gentle, making them ideal for the most sensitive of skins and won’t cause any nasty sores or rashes on your toddler’s delicate bottom.
Both the inner and outer layers are made from plant-based materials, providing a natural and safe diaper you will be happy to put on your little one.
The quilted lining on the inside of the diaper will always remain dry to touch, pulling wetness away from the skin, keeping your baby feeling comfortable and dry. While there’s no wetness indicator, this shouldn’t be a big deal if you’re using them overnight.
The side panels are soft and stretchy, making it easy for you to change your little wriggler’s diaper efficiently and effectively.
These diapers are extremely eco-friendly and tick all the boxes if you’re looking for diapers that are made from natural sources while also being good for the environment.
They are certified by many organizations, including FSC, EcoCert, AB Vincotte, and the Swedish Asthma and Allergy Association. They are perfect for babies and toddlers who have allergies, sensitive skin, or respiratory problems.
These are a size 4, which are suitable for babies weighing between 15 and 40 pounds. They can also be found from newborn to size 6.
The natural ingredients used in these diapers keep the risk of developing diaper rashes and sores to a low. You’ll have peace of mind knowing there are no harsh chemicals used during production, including any dyes or perfumes.
The diapers are naturally breathable, allowing air to reach your baby’s skin and be free from discomfort and irritation. This is especially important at nighttime when you don’t want to disturb your sleeping angel to change them.
The leakage barrier film is used from natural GM-free corn, which is biodegradable and will break down over time, causing greater benefit for the environment. The lack of plastic stops your baby’s skin from becoming sweaty and sore, unlike other diapers.
The Naty diapers don’t cinch at the back, so you have to close them tightly to ensure there’s no leaks from the rear. Don’t pull too hard, though, as the tabs could rip. Other than that, they seem to contain liquids and solids pretty well.
These aren’t actually diapers on their own accord, but are best described as sanitary pads that you add to the inside of a diaper. The Sposie Booster Pads will create extra padding for kids who bed wet heavily at nighttime and need a little extra support.
With that said, they are ideal for parents who may have spent a ton of cash on a ton of different diapers and are still waking up to find their little one swimming out of bed in the morning.
All kids are different, and some have very heavy flows through the night. These little pads could just be the savior for when you feel like you’re all out of options!
They’re pretty universal and can be slipped into any regular diaper. They simply sit inside, and work as if your baby was wearing two diapers in effect. Just make sure you place it correctly; otherwise it won’t work effectively.
They are great at helping with diaper leaks, and are easy to remove in the middle of the night instead of having to deal with a full-on diaper change.
These pads are safe and 100 percent hypoallergenic. They are both dermatologist and pediatrician tested, and super child-friendly.
As well as being ideal for overnight, they can also be used for long car journeys and pretty much any extended use situations where your little one may have to go a long time without having a diaper change.
They help against the frustration and embarrassment of dealing with leaking diapers, which lead to a full change of clothes, sheet changes, and everything in between.
They are well priced and come in packs of 30, which is essentially a full month’s supply, provided you’ll use one each night. You also have the option to buy in bulk and save while you do so.
Stay Dry, My Friend
Nobody wants their toddler to wake up miserable in the middle of the night. Overnight diapers are a great way to avoid this, and my personal favorites are the Pampers Swaddlers Overnights. These not only get high marks for comfort, but they also do a great job absorbing moisture.
Having said that, if you want to go the reusable route, the Anmababy Reusable Charcoal Bamboo Diaper Inserts will save you money and diaper cream.
At the end of the day, all of the diapers on this list are reliable options, so you’re sure to find one that works for your toddler.